Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Uh, YUM.

I have been having fun lately making things with whole wheat flour or spelt flour, adding flaxseed meal to things, etc. Today I came across a recipe for spelt cookies but I messed around with it to be able to use what I had in the house. (It called for maple syrup and molasses. I don't keep real maple syrup at home, we use the crappy stuff...) I just got the cookies out of the oven and I am SO proud of myself! They turned out great!

Here's the recipe:

1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs flaxseed meal mixed with 3 Tbs water (let sit for 2 minutes before adding. This is an egg substitue)
1 1/2 cup spelt flour
1 tsp each baking soda and powder
chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

I had to add a little more flour to make it a good consistency, but it was around a cup and a half. The cookies are chewy and tasty and VEGAN! I didn't even think about that, but no eggs and no butter means no animal products. Cool. It was fun to try something new and have them turn out! Next time I make cookies I'm going to substitue almond butter in my peanut butter cookie recipe, with whole wheat or spelt flour. I have SUCH a sweet tooth and it would make me feel better if I baked stuff that at least was whole grain, even if it does have chocolate in it.

2 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

Oh wow, they sound really good! Might try them with fruit sugar too... :)

MaryAnne said...

These do sound good. I've never tried cooking with flaxseed meal or spelt flour before, although we make whole wheat bread a lot.