Thursday, February 25, 2010

You're Driving Me Crazy!!

Ingrid has been very whiny and demanding lately. She is very into "I do it!" and "No, go this way!" Which I love because she's such an independant little spitfire. However, it also drives me nuts sometimes.

This morning after hearing her throw yet another tantrum because I wouldn't let her grab my sharp sewing scissors or play with the rotary cutter (what a horrible mom I am, I know) I said, "Aah! You are driving me crazy!" Brendan said "You say that all the time. Maybe this isn't working? You staying at home with Ingrid?"

I was completely dumbfounded. How on earth could he think it wasn't working, me staying at home? Does he not know that I love my job as a stay at home mom?? Does my husband really not know me at all? Yes, I say Ingrid drives me crazy a lot, because--she drives me crazy, A LOT! But that doesn't mean I don't like to be around her. I do, I just can't stand this whiny, tantrum phase she's going through. (It's just a phase, right?!)

Anyway, it got me thinking about how I voice my opinion on everything. I wonder what it's like to be my husband, having to deal with me and my gab. I complain a lot, even when something doesn't really bother me all that much. I just say stuff, without really thinking about it. So, in that second that Ingrid was crying, I said she drove me crazy. And in the moment that she cuddles up on me I say I love you SO SO MUCH! They balance each other out, don't they? I think I say more positive things than negative, but now I have to stop and think about it.

I'm always trying to be calmer and more positive, I guess this is one of those things I have to work on. Less "you drive me crazy" and more "I love you so much."

6 comments:

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

I'm like you. Talk talk, blab blab, even if like you said, it doesn't REALLY bother me...I just need to vent, then, I feel better. I mean, they've got to understand that if I don't scream "AH! You're making me very ANGRY!" then I might explode and break something!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Oh wait, this is about you.... ;)

Amber Liddle said...

No, it's nice to know I'm not the only one!

MaryAnne said...

I'm less like this now than I used to be (like, when Emma was Ingrid's age), but I still have my days...

Anna said...

I totally could have written this post. Hubby has said something similar to me when I was complaining about a rough day at home with Fiona. I was dumbfounded that he didn't understand that I LOVE staying home with her, EVEN on the days that she is driving me crazy. I definitely need to work on blurting out more positive than negative too. I think it is that man thing that they think if we complain they need to "fix" something.
Good luck.

Classroomfree said...

I could have written that too! I'm an unschooling mum of 4 children here in England, and I'm forever moaning about it...
But I love my life and wouldn't change it for the world :)

Jules x
http://classroomfree.blogspot.com