Friday, November 20, 2009

Ugh.

I need a pick me up today.  Ingrid hasn't been sleeping well for weeks now and it's starting to wear on my nerves.  Last night she was up every hour or so from 7pm until 630am.  She did not sleep more than 2 hours at any one time during the whole entire effing night!!  I am exhausted this morning.  And so is she, but she won't just go back to bed like I could...she wants to play but she's so tired she doesn't know what she wants to do.  She just cried for a half hour for no reason--I tried to get her interested in books, a blanket, her kitchen, a snack.  Ugh.

She is a year and a half and this has been an ongoing battle.  I don't know what to do anymore.  I have tried giving her what she needs, even if that's a cuddle for a minute, then back to bed.  But she gets up so much, I don't get any sleep.  I've tried letting her settle herself back down, which happens sometimes, but usually she'd cry nonstop if I let her.  I have let her before, too.  I went in every few minutes to try to calm her down but not take her out of the crib and she cried for two hours until finally I took her out and she calmed down for a little bit.  I try to take her in bed with us but she never sleeps, she just starts playing on us.  Ugh.

Isn't it supposed to get better the older they get??  She slept better as a baby.  She'd sleep 8 hrs straight, have a bottle, and sleep for 3 hours more.  That I could handle.  This I cannot.  Ugh.

3 comments:

arwen_tiw said...

Sounds just like how Morgan did things. What helped us was having her in a single bed, taking her back to her own bed and cuddling her back to sleep - hubby had to do this in our case.

I think eventually it would have passed on its own but I couldn't do it any more. She stopped sleeping at around ten months and started sleeping through again at just past two years!

(big big hugs)

MaryAnne said...

This sounds like Emma, apart from the sleeping as a baby part. When she was Ingrid's age we put her crib mattress on the floor next to our bed and that helped, some... Might be worth trying?

HeartofGoldPlate said...

A lot of people are very anti- Cry it Out. Dexter was having issues like Ingrid right after he turned 1. I tried a ton of different things for an entire month before I finally just hugged him, told him I loved him, and then went to another part of the house and just sat next to the monitor, crying right along with him. I told myself I'd check on him if he cried for an hour. He made it to exactly and hour before he fell asleep. He slept for 10 hours and probably would've slept longer if I hadn't freaked out and woke him up at 9am.

I would say to give it a try at least. Maybe you going in there at regular intervals was distracting her.