Monday, January 23, 2012

House Hunting

It has been pretty mellow around here, just living life every day.  We are starting to look for a house, which is exciting!  Brendan and I have been together for almost ten years and we have moved every year or two since then.  It will be so nice to settle down for awhile.  We looked at three houses yesterday and I have to say, it's fun to imagine yourself in some houses, but it's also depressing seeing how little we get for our price range. 

I am not one to need a big house, but I do need a usable house.  I need counter space in my kitchen (something I have never had, ever) and I need a room that we can live in that won't feel cluttered the minute we put a couch and toys in there.  The first house we looked at had everything we need, I am so geeked about it and wish we were actually in buying mode.  We're not, we are still saving but just starting to look so we know what we want when the time comes to buy.  This house is updated but still has things we can do to make it our own.  It has a great entryway (for all those boots and mittens that are strewn about right now...) and a cozy living room, and good sized bedrooms, and an attic that is all ready to be finished and made into a sewing studio!!  Or a master bedroom but I'm leaning toward a sewing studio.

The other houses we looked at were...okay.  One only had two bedrooms so it wasn't really an option, we just wanted to look.  It was immaculate, these people are organizers to the extreme.  I have never seen paint in the basement so well organized!  They had everything labeled and put away, I was in heaven just looking at it!  But it only has two bedrooms and a tiny kitchen and just wouldn't fit our needs.  The third house we looked at was TINY.  Like I felt claustrophobic just walking around and there was no furniture in it!  The dining room was barely big enough for a two seater table, let alone a big table and high chair.  The kitchen, as much as I love vintage kitchens, was too vintage.  Like vintage in a way that can't really be used.  And the bedrooms were teeny, did people not have full size beds back in the day?? 

So we had fun looking and imagining and now I am in full decorator mode, excited for the day we are in a house we will be in for more than a year.  A friend sent me a link to this blog, that has house tours of other bloggers.  I had so much fun last night after the kids went to bed just browsing and pinning everything I liked.  Which was a lot.  Now this morning I'm looking at my sad walls and thinking of what I can do to spice things up without spending any money and using what I have.  Which should be easy enough, I have bins of fabric and crap shoved in every closet, I should be able to come up with something...

No comments: