Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sewing Like a Real Person

Usually my philosophy on sewing is that it's going to just be for me or a friend and who cares if it's a bit wonky?  But since I've started selling things on etsy, I have to make sure it's worth the money I charge, you know?  I don't charge much simply because I know I have a long way to go before I would feel comfortable saying they deserve tons of money...But awhile ago I got a book from the library, the Sewing Bible I think it was called, and it was so interesting to read about sewing.  Like a real seamstress like person. 

Patterns were never my thing, I eyeballed everything and slapped them together and it came out pretty cute but I was always jealous of things like darts, gathering, and fancy things I couldn't figure out how to do.  I just opened a pattern I'd had forever and tried it and holy cow!  It worked!  And it turned out so cute.  I still have to get a serger so I can make the inside seams look nicer but as it is, they look way better than they used to. 

So I got brave and tried yet another pattern, this one with lots of different new things. I had to do buttons and button holes, sew on bias tape, do gathering stitches.  As it was my first and just for Ingrid anyway, I did do it a bit wonky, as usual, but it's practice and I learned what to do better next time.  And apparently it turned out cute, because after I posted the picture to Facebook, I had three people ask me if I could make one for them!  (You can see the pics here.)

We are off the library again today and I'm looking forward to getting that book again and perusing to see what other little tips I can glean.  And one of these days I'm going to get a pattern from oliver + s or heidiandfinn and make something really adorable and I will be so stinkin' proud of myself!

No comments: