Friday, April 8, 2011

Hold On a Second...

That phrase comes out of my mouth about seventeen thousand times a day.  Seriously, hold on Ingrid, I'm feeding your brother.  Hold on, Otis, I'm just putting this laundry away.  Hold on, whoever is calling me, I'm making dinner.  Hold on, hold on, hold on.  I have been feeling so pulled in a million directions lately, it's driving me nuts!!

I used to pride myself on being able to multitask.  I think that was at a time when, if I got the things on my list done, I got to go home.  Now, though, the list just keeps on going.  If I finish ten things, there are just going to be ten more things to do after that.  So I'm not as motivated to do things, maybe.  Whatever the case, I have been seriously behind on lots of things, trying to focus is hard, and I'm always telling Ingrid to hold on. 

I'm just starting to realize how different her life is from just a few months ago.  I know every kid goes through this and every mom goes through feeling guilty, but it just hit me how hard this must be for her to have a new sibling, move, have a crabby mom all the time.  She keeps saying things like "I need you to take care of me, I want you to play with me, I need you."  And I always say "Hold on, I have to do..." insert mundane task here.  It's never important either!  I am just always pushing her away, telling her to wait. 

The past few days I have tried really hard not to make her wait.  I drop what I'm doing and just hold her.  Yesterday we cuddled on the couch while Otis napped and I made up dumb stories about sparkly unicorns.  She looked up at me and said "I love you so much, mom."  Oh dear.  I have to make more time for her.  I have to!  The floor will still be dirty in twenty minutes, the laundry will still be there to fold after we play or cuddle or just read books.  Perspective, Amber!  Remember all those nights where I didn't want to rock her to sleep because I was tired?  And I said she's only going to be this age once?  Well the same thing applies here and I have forgotten that.  She will only be almost-three once, and I have to enjoy these cuddly moments so I can look back upon them fondly when she's rolling her eyes at me every ten seconds in ten years. 

So you guys will have to hold on while I go play with my daughter.  Hold on, I'll be right there. 

9 comments:

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

where's the LIKE button? ♥

Jami said...

Man, I swear woman, you always take the words right out of my mouth. The last few days I have sat and watched videos of Ben. Every one I watch I am amazed how little he seems. When we first moved into our house, he was SO little. And I am feeling so guilty lately, like I have taken this time for granted, and it's gone by so fast, and I didn't realize it, and now he's going to be off to preschool and life is so different, and all I want is those moments again when it was so easy, why didn't I see it then? Ahhh, hindsight. I'm trying to focus on the now every second of every day. Even the moments at night with Henry. It seemed so hard with Ben, and I wasn't focusing on the parts I should have been. Now I know that I will survive the sleepness nights and I need to cherish every moment with my babies. Big and Little. :) Thanks for the post <3

arwen_tiw said...

Lovely lovely post. :)

My standby is, "come do this with me, then I'll be done quicker!" ;)

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

ooh, I love that!

ringmaster said...

*smiles*

Joxy34 said...

Ahhh yes, mine is "later...." so much so that Rye asks something and responds before I get chance to... "we'll do that later". So yes I've been trying to stop saying later and actually put him first

and like you I shall go as he keeps shoving his latest Thomas (sigh) mag in my face.. my cue to read it with him.

Fiona said...

Happy to hold on while you take time with your sweet girl.
Take all the time you need.

amber said...

I agree, where is the like button???

"Just a minute" is what always comes out of my mouth....

I bet I say it at least 20 times a day. Sometimes I feel guilty and drop what I'm doing and sometimes I really do need to complete a task from start to finish at least once!

Earthenwitch said...

Ha! This really resonated with me - 24 weeks pregnant with no. 2, and often saying just those phrases to my gorgeous girl. This has just reminded me to make the time, to ignore the housework (oh how terrible! ;)) and cherish the time we have as a family of three. Thank you - timely reminder.